We really don't do college basketball on OTE, but for a good cause (see: bottom of the article) and in honor of the upcoming NCAA Tourney, we've jumped on board. The discussion is a simple one, take it where you will. Days 1 and 2 of the NCAA Tourney (or even the entire tourney as a whole)...versus a typical College Football Saturday. You can't have them both, so which do you choose?
Positives of the NCAA Tourney:
- Gambling, the ubiquitous brackets
- Upsets, especially that damn 12 v. 5 game
- Random teams and players that instantaneously become more important to you than your family and/or significant others...for two hours-ish
- Jimmer Fredette, Steph Curry, Bryce Drew...George Mason, Butler, Valpo. I saw Curry obliterate Wisconsin two years ago in the Sweet 16 at Ford Field in Detroit. Nothing like drilling an impossible reverse lay up in front of a visiting Lebron James, catching the King mouthing "wow" on the big screen.
- 16 games, 1 day...and they're all meaningful.
Positives of College Football Saturdays
- College football is the greatest thing in the world
I'll be honest - this was a close call for me. I love the upset vibe of Days 1 and 2... and I have a memory of one vacation when I we bought a ton of Coronas and sat in a beach house just watching some great NCAA games...I couldn't have been more relaxed and entertained. But...CFB breeds team familiarity, hitting, and of course the distinct regional feel of every matchup. Plus you actually can attend games, something much more difficult to do during the tournament.
I'll be interested to see the reactions. Do you like the added NCAA Tourney games...or does that take away from the 64 team field purity? Would a CFB playoff be better than the basketball tourney? Hell, we can even talk basketball - who's your sleeper this year? Will Jimmer make a good NBA player? Which Big Ten teams will make the tourney? Which Big Ten team will make a run?
PLAY THE MARCH TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND YOU COULD WIN A TRIP FOR TWO TO LAS VEGAS! LOOK FOR THE CODE INSIDE SPECIALLY-MARKED PACKAGES 12-PACKS OF BUD LIGHT ENTER CODE AT FACEBOOK.COM/BUDLIGHT No Purchase Necessary. Open to U.S. residents (except CA & TX) 21+. For a chance to win a Grand or First Prize, Game Period 1 begins 3PM CST on 2/14 & ends 3PM CDT on 3/18. For a chance to win a First Prize only, Game Period 2 begins 3:00:01PM CDT on 3/18 & ends 3PM CDT on 4/30. To participate, obtain a Code from inside specially-marked packages of Bud Light beer or to request a Code without purchase, visit budlight.com/freecode during a Game Period. Limit one (1) free Code request/day/person or email address. To play, text HOOPS to BEERS (23377) & follow prompts or visit budlight.com/freecode & follow instructions. See Official Rules inside package or at budlight.com/freecode for complete details. Void in CA, TX & where prohibited. Enjoy Responsibly – SEE COMPS FOR SPECIFIC FONT FOR THIS ©2011 Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Bud Light® Beer, St. Louis, MO