Let's take a break from all of the rumor-mongering and depressing national championship talk. Let's just talk about yesterday's Big Ten games. Here's some summaries:
- Northwestern 23 at Michigan State 20: The Cats blew another fourth quarter lead, giving up a Spartan TD to tie the game at 20. Instead of folding, Northwestern managed a field goal and held the MSU offense scoreless the rest of the way. For Michigan State, it was another close game and another home loss. The Spartans lost all of their home conference games this season, and will need to win at Minnesota to become bowl eligible.
- Iowa 17 at Michigan 42: Devin Gardner had another good game as the Michigan QB, and Iowa had another terrible game. The Hawkeyes are no longer in contention for a bowl game, and Michigan can still win the Legends Division. If the Wolverines can beat OSU and Nebraska loses to Iowa (ha!), then Michigan will be playing in Indianapolis.
- Indiana 22 at Penn State 45: Penn State ended Indiana's bowl hopes in Happy Valley on Saturday. The Hoosiers put up a good fight; they were within six points midway through the third quarter. Matt McGloin and Allen Robinson connected for three touchdowns, but it wasn't all good news for the Nittany Lions. Team Leader Michael Mauti injured his knee and his college career is likely over. Indiana can still spoil Purdue's season this Saturday.
- Ohio State 21 at Wisconsin 14 OT: Montee Ball fumbled on a fourth and inches at the one with less than three minutes remaining and trailing by seven. It seemed like the Badgers were done, but a defensive stop led to a game-tying TD with eight seconds left. The Buckeyes got the ball first in overtime and Carlos Hyde ran for a TD that Wisconsin couldn't match. OSU wins the Leaders Division outright, but the Badgers are still going to the CCG.
- Minnesota 14 at Nebraska 38: The Huskers shut down the Gophers and this one was over pretty quickly. Nebraska scored all of their points before Minnesota scored a pair of garbage time TDs. All Nebraska has to do to win the Legends Division is to beat Iowa. Minnesota could keep Michigan State out of the bowls with a win on Saturday.
- Purdue 20 at Illinois 17: Illinois continued their epic Big Ten losing streak and Purdue kept their bowl hopes alive in a close, but boring game. The most exciting part of the first half was a 54-yard field goal by the Illini's Taylor Zalewski. Illinois cut the Purdue lead to just three late in the fourth, but the Boilers got a couple of first downs to ice it. Purdue will go to a bowl if they beat Indiana this week; they will most likely fire their coach if they don't.