The Big 10 at 10 is Off Tackle Empire's daily dose of B1G news delivered to you at approximately 10:00AM CT. But it's not just a linkdump. Each author will also provide a brief editorial on a "hot topic" for the day. Want to see more news from a blog or website that isn't listed? Hit the comments.
ED NOTE: Jesse and Graham dropped a couple of great articles over the past 10 hours which you need to read:
- Why the B1G Doesn't Churn Out Heisman Winners
- Then Penn State Argument: Maybe it's Not that Complicated
Last Friday it was announced that the Big 10 and Pac 12 were calling off their football crossover series set to begin in 2017. While the series was five years out, I think everyone is disappointed about the great football we're losing. Ohio State vs. USC, Stanford vs. Michigan or Nebraska vs. Oregon could've been epic matchups. To add, Big 10 fans would've have an opportunity to see some of the stadiums out west and shown those snobby ass West Coasters how to tailgate.
Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. The Pac 12 plays nine conference games and teams like USC, Stanford and Utah have annual matchups against Notre Dame and BYU. As Big 10 fans we might scream "SISSIES" because we have our own annual matchups against high quality opponents but the most important thing to remember is that we only play eight conference games. If this series went forward a team like Utah could end up playing Utah State, BYU and Wisconsin in the non-con. Brutal.
Where does that leave us? Are there other possibilities? The ACC? The Big East in 2013? The SunBeast? I've been doing a lot of research and I discovered that there's only one logical suggestion: The Big 10 & Pioneer Football League Crossover Series. Yes, it's perfect.
Can you imagine the matchups? Minnesota taking on the Jacksonville University Dolphins at beautiful D.B. Milne Field? Michigan traveling to sunny Des Moines to take on the Drake University Bulldogs? The Campbell Fighting Camels traveling to Iowa City to face the Hawkeyes in Kinnick Stadium? (Iowa can't beat Campbell in Carver Hawkeye) How ugly would the Butler vs. Indiana or Ohio State vs. Dayton rivalries get? How crazy would the tailgating at Marist College vs. Northwestern be? Please contact this man and make it happen. Links after the jump.
- A profile of Illinois' defensive tackles Austin Teitsma and Jake Howe.
- The Crimson Quarry previews the Hoosiers week one opponent: Indiana State.
- Marc Morehouse profiles Iowa defensive end Dominic "Tiny" Alvis.
- Fight for Iowa asks whether in-state recruiting is really getting any harder for the Hawkeyes.
- Maize n Brew previews Michigan's punting situation. Unfortunately, they still don't have Zoltan Mesko.
- MgoBlog breaks down Michigan's win over Nebraska.
- MLive takes a look at Michigan State's week 5 opponent: Ohio State.
- The Only Colors has an interview with MAC blog Hustle Belt regarding future opponent Central Michigan.
- Despite the Big 10/Pac 12 series getting called off, Michigan State will still play Oregon 2014-2015. Looks like Sparty will finally get that Rose Bowl matchup they've been craving.
- The Daily Gopher asks which former Golden Gopher Heisman winner you'd take.
- More talk about the 1990's from Husker Extra.
- Omaha World-Herald Staff Writer Lee Barfknecht writes that the PSU scandal should be a warning for mentoring programs.
- Lake the Posts and Sippin on Purple talk Northwestern and EA Sports NCAA Football.
- Land Grant Holy Land gives us a brief piece on the transition from Tressel to Meyer.
- Michael Pilato, the man responsible for the well known Penn State mural in State College, PA, removed the halo from above Joe Paterno's head. He also added a blue ribbon for child abuse awareness on Paterno's coat.
- The Paternos are rounding up a group of experts to conduct an independent review of the Freeh report. Nothing good can come of this. Either they're going to call the ex-director of the FBI a liar or they'll confirm the mistakes that Penn State made.
- Joe Paterno began trying to amend his contract back in January of 2011 which was coincidentally around the time that he testified in front of a grand jury regarding Jerry Sandusky.
- Purdue cornerback Sean Collins is suspended from the team following an arrest for public intoxication, resisting arrest and battery.
- Hammer & Rails looks at the great Heisman Snub of 1966-1969.
- ESPN's Big Ten media days preview.
- Eleven Warriors breaks down the best and worst positions in the Big Ten.
- Jim Delany wants the best out of the Big 10 football referees. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to care how the basketball referees perform.
- Bleacher Report's Classic Big Ten Football Games: tOSU vs. Michigan, 2004.
- Tom Dienhart concludes his rankings for the best 2012 B1G football games. The best game of the year is Michigan @ Ohio State on November 24th.
- ESPN's impact transfers in the B1G.
Finally, I feel like there's a better or less permanent way to commit.