There used to be a Penn State blog named There is no Name on My Jersey. It's defunct now, which is good because the name wouldn't apply any longer. Penn State announced that it is wearing "different" uniforms for the 2012 season. From Penn State's official website:
When they take the field at Beaver Stadium for their 126th season, The Pennsylvania State University football team will wear uniforms featuring a blue ribbon to support all victims of child abuse. Also, for the first time, the names of each football player will adorn their jersey in recognition of their resolve and dedication to the team and the University.
The reasoning behind the blue ribbon is obvious. But what about the names? The press release continues:
Coach O'Brien says after speaking with some members of the team, they made the decision together to add names to the uniforms. Players indicated the names on their jerseys also mean they will hold each other accountable to uphold the traditions of Penn State football, both on and off the field.
"We want our fans to know and recognize these young men," O'Brien said. "They have stuck together during tough times, and I commend them for the leadership they have shown. Moving forward, I'm deeply committed to honoring Penn State's traditions, while building a bright future for our football program."
I think there's been a divide on the issue of uniform changes. Some people don't believe Penn State should change the uniforms in any way. Others believe that they should change it MORE. Personally, I think if you're going to change the uniforms you should completely redesign them and not just add a name and a ribbon. Tom Dienart thinks Penn State should go farther with its changes and add the blue ribbon to their helmet. It's actually sort of funny to think that Penn State has basically been wearing the same uniform since the 50's, with the only "major changes" being enlarging of numbers or the addition of stripes. Those don't seem like "major changes" but hey, when your uniforms are that boring I suppose they are. What do you think about the changes? Links after the jump.Team Links:
- A Day 2 update on the Illini fall camp and a photo gallery from IlliniHQ
- Illinois will play Washington at Soldier Field in 2013.
- A Lion Eye continues its fall camp posting extravaganza.
- The Illini are tinkering with their offensive line.
- Iowa's theme song this year should be My My Hey Hey (Into the Black) by Neil Young. At least, that's what a writer at the Cedar Rapids Gazette thinks.
- It's Kevonte Martin-Manley's Time to Shine.
- Michigan defensive tackle Will Campbell says he owes Wolverine fans a great senior season.
- MGoBlog's latest update on Michigan's recruiting efforts.
- The Only Colors interviews an Iowa fan named Ross Binder. LOL HIS LAST NAME IS BENDER.
- FBT looks at Minnesota's RBs in 2012.
- This is old news but Taylor Martinez wants to complete 70% of his passes. Other things he wants to do: date Michelle Jenneke, travel to the Sun and catch a home run hit by Mickey Mantle.
- Speaking of T-Mart, the Omaha World Herald has an interview with him.
- Rodger Sherman doesn't think the trolling by Illinois is "very good."
- Lake the Posts takes an in-depth look at Northwestern's rebuilt/rebuilding offensive line.
- Mocking the Draft previews Ohio State's NFL Draft Class of 2013.
- 11 Warriors wishes Beanie Wells a happy birthday. No Beanie Wellses were hurt in the production of this piece as Beanie Wells is already on injured reserve.
- Land Grant Holy Land profiles Illinois.
- The Buckeyes are adjusting without an injured Jordan Hall.
- BSD breaks down the impact of the transfers on the Penn State depth chart.
- A few ex-Penn State players are appealing the NCAA vacating the Nittany Lions' wins. Yawn.
- Hammer and Rails previews Purdue's 2012 defensive line.
- 10 reasons to be excited about Wisconsin in 2012.
- MGoBlog has started their own B1G fantasy draft. Yes, T-Mart and Braxton Miller were drafted before the Mandenberg. Also note that T-Mart has been drafted as a tailback.
- Buckeye Empire previews the Big Ten. HOMERS.
- ESPN's latest B1G mailblog.
- A look at the jerseys that Big Ten teams are wearing during fall camp.