Notre Dame-Duke... Touchdown Jesus approves?
Alright, I am not in a position to do an in-depth analysis of the Notre Dame story. A) I don't particularly care where Notre Dame ended up because I don't particularly care about Notre Dame, B) Let's face it, Notre Dame was going to spurn the B1G unless there was special dispensation given and that was not happening in a league that claims parity, and C) I'm still new here and while I am a College Football fan who always thought there was an unspoken understanding between the B1G and ND, I also know enough to realize those dynamics also include a ridiculous amount of mutual dislike.
With all that to say, it is an interesting move. Notre Dame moves to the ACC in every sport but football. So the ACC grows its footprint for the time being and puts another nail in the coffin of the B-East. Notre Dame will get five conference games with Big East opponents which should ease the scheduling conflicts they were undoubtedly running into. On paper, this is the deal of the century for the Fighting Irish. Competitively, these are schools that have about the same level of student bodies, and honestly, the competition goes down from either the Big Ten or the Big XII. Eric Murtaugh of One Foot Down thinks it's a home run because it basically gives all the advantages of conference affiliation without, you know, actually having to play by the rules of everyone else (not exactly what he says, but I'm distilling here... just like a nice gin).
Bottom line, a lot of us are probably wondering if the Big Ten missed out on a big fish, but look at it this way. Delany had the power to make a deal like this if he so chose. He didn't because he values the brand, the image, and the parity in decision making that we have at this point. Delany did release a statement later to basically point out that Conference Shifts are still definitely in play and that he is more than happy with his current setup. So, good for us, good for them, and let's move on to anything other than Notre Dame news.
- The Chicago Sun-Times asks of Illinois, "What should we un-learn from last Saturday?"
- Illini HQ takes a slightly less cynical look and tries to look at what it will take for Illinois to bounce back this weekend.
- The Crimson Quarry previews the Ball State game this weekend. Do you all realize Indiana could triple their win count from last year this weekend?
- Also, a win would match Indiana's longest win streak since 2000... so good luck new QB Cameron Coffman.
- The Des Moines Register answers 5 Questions about the Hawkeyes in light of their upcoming matchup with UNI.
- So Iowa apparently has some Pro Combat Unis with a bunch of silver... you know, because that makes sense.
- Zach Travis provides a preview of the UMass Minutemen matchup with Michigan this weekend over at MnB.
- Michigan looks to stiffen up the defense according to the Detroit Free-Press.
- So apparently the Spartans also feel like their defense that hasn't allowed a touchdown this season is playing below the bar they have set. Interesting.
- Nice story about the recruitment of Le'Veon Bell to Michigan State. All the best to this kid this year. I hope he gets his (and it's looking like he will against Nebraska, because they can't tackle and stuff)
- The Daily Gopher has an interview with the Hustle Belt in a lead up to their tilt with Western Michigan this weekend.
- Coach Kill looks to his Special Teams unit to provide good field position as they work towards success this year.
- Of course Nebraska lost another former 4* defender who was fed up with losing playing time...
- Corn Nation gets reactions on the reinstatement of the balloon tradition at Memorial Stadium (but not really).
- Lake the Posts does what all Northwestern fans are doing right now and talk about Venric Mark.
- Sippin on Purple sits down with a fired up BC Interruption to talk about their game this weekend.
- Our own Ted Glover has a preview of the OSU-Cal game over on LGHL.
- Urban wants fans to get pumped up. Fans, do what Urban says. Urban gets what Urban wants. Come on Ohio Stadium GET PUMPED UP!!!
- Four Keys to defeating Navy... Normally we'd just say go out there and take care of business Penn State, but times have changed.
- Just the Numbers for Navy-Penn State via BSD.
- "I don't have any buyer's remorse about how we have manufactured the quarterback position the last couple of years or the last couple of months, the last couple of weeks or the last couple of days," - Coach Hope... really? No remorse at a three+ QB system at all? I doubt that a little bit.
- We really should just fold Hustle Belt into the B1G during Non-con... They are everywhere!!! Hammer and Rails talks Eastern Michigan with the Hustle Belt.
- Montee Ball trying to keep a level head... you know, because he could be a millionaire in the NFL right now but isn't.
- B5Q on what it takes to move on after a loss.