Saturday night Michigan State will look to extend their home win streak to 16 games. Spartan Stadium will be host to 75,000+ fans screaming their heads off as the Spartans face an undefeated Notre Dame team, which is looking to go 3-0 for the first time in the Brian Kelly era. The crowd will be loud and rowdy after a long days' worth of tailgating, creating a hostile environment for the visiting Domers. Michigan State coaches and administration are hoping to take advantage of the raucous crowd by expanding its brand to a nationally televised audience and to a large number of recruits that will be in attendance.
Besides the obvious fact of improving to 3-0 this years' battle for the megaphone trophy, will be one that carries many implications.
The 8PM game aired on ABC game against a nationally followed brand in ND will in no doubt garner many eyes from around the country. MSU has been garnering a lot of national respect for their recent performances (mainly due to their win over Boise St. and a monster performance from LeVeon Bell) and all eyes will be on the Spartans and a win will be crucial in the effort to stay in the BCS conversation. Le'Veon Bell also has a chance to show off his skills to Heisman voters.
The Spartan coaching staff has also taken advantage of the sold out crowd and night atmosphere by inviting some of the nation's best prospects to the game. With only a few spots left in the 2013 recruiting class MSU has the ability to be very selective with their opens spots. The Spartans already have a head start on their 2014 recruiting class with Drake Harris and Byron Bullough (brother of current Spartans Max and Riley). Listed below are recruits that have been rumored to be in attendance for the game.
2013 Non-Committed Prospects in Attendance
- Laquan Treadwell a 6-3 195lb WR from Crete, Ill. should also be in attendance. Treadwell is ranked as the #1 WR prospect for rivals.com and the #6 WR for scout.com. He holds offers from top programs in the B1G, SEC, & Big 12.
- J.J. McGrath a Kicker/Punter prospect from Maccomb Michigan will be in attendance as an unofficial visit. McGrath already has walk-on options from Alabama and Michigan, but will be looking into his options at MSU and LSU. While no scholarship will likely be offered McGrath would have the chance to earn one after being on campus. Much like current Spartan Kicker Dan Conroy.
- Marcus Ball a 6-3 205lb Athlete from Westerville South High School in Ohio has been rumored to be in attendance for the game. It is also rumored that Ball will be in Wisconsin for the Badger's game against Utah St. Ball a 3 star prospect according to Rivals.com and Scout.com reportedly has offers from Arizona St. MSU, Notre Dame, Penn St. and Wisconsin
2014 Prospects in Attendance
- Drake Harris - WR,DB (MI). Current Spartan Commitment
- Deon Drake - LB(Cass Tech High School, MI)
- Damon Webb - CB (Cass Tech High School, MI)
- Joshua Alabi - DE (Cass Tech High School, MI)
- Malik McDowell - DE (Detroit Loyola High School, MI)
- Dariean Watkins - ATH (Galion High School, OH)
- CJ Hilliard - RB (St. Xavier, Ohio). Teammate of current MSU commitment Trey Kilgore
- Brian Allen - C (Hinsdale Central, Ill) Brother of current Spartan Jack Allen
- Ian Bunting - TE (Hinsdale Central High School, Ill)
- Tyler Wiegers - QB (Detroit Country Day High School, MI)
- Clifton Garrett - LB (Plainfield South High School, Ill)
- Matt Morrissey - S (Lincolnshire Stevenson High School, Ill)
- Nile Sykes - DE (Oak Park River Forest High School, Ill)
- Niles Morgan - LB (Crete Monee High School, Ill)
- Kyle Trout - OL (Lancaster, OH)
- Caleb Henderson - QB (Burke, VA)
- J.C. Hassenauer - C ( East Ridge High School, Minn.)
- Deshone Kizer - QB (Toledo Central Catholic, OH)
- Joey Duckworth - QB (Louisville High School, OH)
- Ethan Wolf - TE (Minster, OH)
Rankings for 2014 prospects by Scout.com and Rivals.com do not come out for a while, but you can be sure that the Spartan staff has had a chance to evaluate these prospects. Currently the following prospects have been offered by MSU (according to Rivals.com): Drake Harris (committed), Caleb Henderson, Brian Allen, Malik McDowell, Deon Drake, Clifton Garrett, Nyles Morgan, & Damon Webb.
Montravius Adams a 6-3 285lb DT from Vienna, GA will not be in attendancefor the game. He had an official visit scheduled, but his mother will not be able to make it. The official visit will be rescheduled. Adams is listed as the #2 DT prospect according to rivals.com and #1 at scout.com. Adams has ties to the Michigan State program through WR Keith Mumphrey. Mumphrey and Adams both hail from the same high school Dooly County in Georgia. Adams' offer list includes almost every big time program in the nation.