The AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches polls were released yesterday, crowning Rick Pitino's Louisville squad as the new #1 team in America. Indiana, whose only lost came against Butler in mid-December, checks it an number two. Here's the remaining Big Ten teams in the polls:
(AP, #5. Coaches, #5): Michigan
Odd, Michigan's only loss came against Ohio State, AT Ohio State, a team that is ranked higher than Butler. Based on that logic, Michigan should probably be ranked higher than Indiana. Next up: Minnesota.
(AP, #9, Coaches, #12): Minnesota
Did you know the Golden Gophers were the 9th ranked team in the nation? Me neither. Then again, that's what happens when you beat Memphis, Michigan State and Illinois. Their only two losses came against Duke and Indiana. Next up: Michigan.
(AP, #11, Coaches, #11): Ohio State
Ohio State's only losses came against top 15 teams in Duke, Kansas and Illinois. On the other hand, their only real win came against #2 Micigan. The rest of their schedule hasn't exactly been against world beaters. Next up: Michigan State.
(AP, #18, Coaches, #17): Michigan State
Michigan State has played the role of the survivor their previous two games, nearly losing to Iowa and Nebrasketball. Now, they'll get a breather with Penn State before setting up a huge contest against Ohio State on January 19th. Next up: Penn State.
(AP, #23, Coaches, #22): Illinois
The Fighting Illini have stumbled as of late, going 2-4 in their past 6 contests. Even more notable is that their last three games haven't even been close. They blew out #8 Ohio State, 74-55 but then got blown out by #8 Minnesota 84-67 and WISCONSIN?!?!?! 74-51. Playing on the road in the Big Ten is brutal, eh? Next up: Northwestern.
(AP, 25 votes, Coaches, 23 votes): Wisconsin
The Badgers are on a six game winning streak with their latest victory coming against #12 Illinois. Now we'll see how good they really are as they travel to Bloomington and Iowa City. Next up: Indiana.
On to the links.
- Former Western Michigan head coach Bill Cubit has been named as the Fighting Illini offensive coordinator. Who is the head coach again? Tim Beckman? Oh. It doesn't matter then.
- The only thing that would make the Illini any better is if they considered hiring a former coach from Purdue. OMG.
- Cody Zeller was named co-Big Ten player of the week along with Ohio State's DeShaun Thomas.
- Film Session: IU against the full court press.
- What to expect against Wisconsin, via Inside the Hall.
- The Hoosiers are trying to make Wisconsin play their way. Let's hope not, as no one would want to see that.
- George Wine (RIP) remembers Chris Street (RIP), who died on January 19th, 1993.
- There's a lot of coaching changes going on at Iowa right now. But the SID won't be telling you that.
- There are 124 FBS teams. Iowa was the only team to use one quarterback all season. /sobs
- The CR Gazette On Iowa podcast talks recruiting and the win over Northwestern.
- John Beilein says that Ohio State on the road was too tough for his young freshman.
- MGoBlog's Monday recruiting roundup.
- When will Michigan's offensive line be ready?
- Michigan receives a commitment from cornerback Reon Dawson, who is from OHIO.
- Michigan is outside the top 20 in most 2013 preseason football rankings.
- Michigan State's Adreian Payne is a freak. In a good way.
- Michigan State freshman Matt Costello accepts his role but is ready to seize an opportunity. Translation: HE WANTS TO START.
- Keith Appling isn't worried about his shooting struggles and wants to shoot more aggressively.
- The Gophers lose at Indiana, 88-81, a tale of two halves.
- The Gopher bench generates more questions than it does points.
- Ernest Suttles, a weakside defensive end, committed to the Huskers. He was previously committed to Iowa State. Take that for what it's worth.
- A statistical breakdown of Northwestern's 20 point loss to Iowa.
- Northwestern added 5 to their hall of fame. Notable, none of these people played basketball.
- Former Northwestern coach Kevin O'Neill was fired by USC. Want to be the head coach at USC? Go ahead and apply, there are no qualifications required. No, seriously.
- 11W catches up with commit Trey Johnson.
- Ohio State recruiting roundup from LGHL.
- Why Ohio State getting Damon Webb is such a big deal. Man, whoever wrote that is a real hack.
- Aaron Craft will always have his defense.
- Early Enrollees Come to Columbus, via Buckeye Empire.
- BSD looks ahead to defensive ends.
- Darrell Hazell's quiet hiring process continues.
- Mad Town Badgers takes a look at 2013 Northwestern.
- A preview of a battle of Big Ten unbeatens, Wisconsin v. Indiana.
- How the Badgers can avoid embarrassment at Assembly Hall.
- Indiana returns to the top of the BTN power rankings.
- BSD's State of the Union, Big Ten football recruiting update.
- Hammer and Rails latest basketball power rankings.
- Bold B1G predictions for 2013.
Finally, Martin Luther King Jr. would've turned 84 today. Here's a letter from the FBI telling him to kill himself!