THIS IS MY "I'M POOPING" FACE. - USA TODAY Sports
Big Ten at Ten is Off Tackle Empire's daily roundup of Big Ten news.
An exciting weekend of Big Ten basketball was highlighted by #18 Michigan State taking down #11 Ohio State at the Breslin Center on Saturday. Despite Deshaun Thomas scoring 28 points and the Buckeyes having the ball for the final possession, it was Shannon Scott who missed a desperation three pointer, sealing the 59-56 win for Sparty. Other games included Iowa upsetting former Big Ten leader Wisconsin, Nebraska playing Penn State in a basketball related substance (shudder), Purdue destroying West Virginia and Northwestern improving their moral victories record to 11-1.
The AP and USA Today Coaches Polls were released yesterday and once again the Big Ten made an impressive showing. Here's a look at the B1G teams.
Michigan (AP 2, Coaches 3)
Michigan, whose only loss came against Ohio State, is receiving first place votes in both polls. Next up: vs. Purdue.
Indiana (AP 7, Coaches 8)
The Hoosiers dropped a few spots in the poll after losing to Wisconsin. Next up: vs. Penn State.
Minnesota (AP 12, Coaches 14)
Minnesota hovers around their previous spot despite two straight losses. Albeit, those two straight losses were against Indiana and Michigan. Next up: @ Northwestern.
Michigan State (AP 13, Coaches 11)
The Spartans haven't lost in January. Next up: @ Wisconsin.
Ohio State (AP 14, Coaches 15)
The Buckeyes only losses came against top 20 teams. Next up: vs. Iowa.
Three Big Ten games go down tonight, starting with Iowa at Ohio State. Things don't bode well for the Hawkeyes as they've lost 19 of their last 20 road games against ranked opponents and the Buckeyes are surely smarting from their loss to Sparty. However, the Hawkeyes have won two straight conference games. Michigan State @ Wisconsin starts at 7PM CT on ESPN. The Spartans have won three straight against Bucky and seven straight home games. The night is capped off with Illinois @ Nebraska in a battle of who gives a shit.
On to the links.
- IlliniHQ looks at the last time the Illini traveled to Lincoln. If you recall, it involved crying.
- All of the notes from tonight's Illini vs. Nebraska game. Shockingly, IlliniHQ picks Nebraska to win.
- 5 takeaways from Indiana's win at Northwestern, via Inside the Hall.
- The NCAA wouldn't let Iowa put "Street" on the back of every jersey. Mike Hlas doesn't agree with that.
- Iowa is accepting renewal orders for 2013 football season tickets. LOLOLOLOLOL.
- MGoBlog's Monday recruiting.
- Did Rodney Davis commit to Michigan yesterday? Via Maize n Brew.
- Oh look, its Denard Robinson returning punts.
- The Only Colors looks at Sparty's latest commit, defense back Justin Williams.
- The Only Colors previews MSU at Wisconsin.
- Tom Izzo says the Spartans aren't as good as they were last year...yet. Via MLive.
- The Daily Gopher tries to figure out Big Ten basketball.
- The Nebraska recruiting big board, via Corn Nation.
- SoP doesn't think its too early to look at the Wildcats' 2013 offense.
- Reggie Hearn is LTP's Wildcat of the Week.
- SoP breaks down the stats from Northwestern's loss to Indiana.
- Land Grant Holy Land previews Iowa @ Ohio State.
- LHGL with the latest update on Ohio State recruiting.
- The location of the Paterno statue remains a mystery. This is news?
- BSD looks at PSU's most irreplaceable player on offense for 2013.
- Penn State students are split over the Paterno legacy.
- Hammer and Rails has a nice story stream for recruiting.
- Ah, a nice recap of the Bielema vs. Wisconsin fan Twitter battle. I always enjoy when people say "trader."
- B5Q questions The Only Colors for tonight's game.
- Michigan is back on top of the BTN's power rankings.
- ESPN's power rankings has Michigan at #1.
- Inside the Hall also has Michigan at #1 in their power rankings.
- Big Ten football players to watch in 2013, via BTN.
- ESPN recaps the early B1G draft departures.