Tyler Kaufman-US PRESSWIRE
We get it Mark. You are Supreme Commander of all that is NCAA Sports and all decisions that are made by the NCAA are yours and yours alone. You know, unless they are part of the highest profile investigation outside of Penn State and you happen to not realize that the NCAA has some serious issues in the whole follow-some-guidelines thing.
As most of you know by now, Mark Emmert is decrying the NCAA's hiring (or at least payrolling) of Nevin Shapiro's lawyer. Also, lots of investigative issues here and now Miami has the best day in a while (add to that beating Duke and you could say best day since Warren Sapp). You know who should be livid over Emmert's posturing about how he cannot believe his department is so loose? USC and Penn State. You know who won't get anywhere still because the NCAA has everyone under lock and key? USC and Penn State.
On that note, I asked on Twitter yesterday who the worst 'Sports Commish' would be if we add Emmert and the NCAA in that group (understanding he has limited powers, but he sucks regardless). Personally, I would rank them as follows (this is revamped from Twitter I believe):
(Best to Worst)
The Guy who Oversees MLS
I'll let you all discuss in the comments... On to the links.
B1G Team Links:
- So Illinois hired a new OL coach who was named one of Rivals top recruiters back in 2008. That seems about right. Everyone, meet Jim Bridge.
- Illinois hoops beat Nebraska handily a couple nights ago. I'm debating if this is a nice thing and we're going back into some uncharted territory... On second thought, beating Nebraska probably isn't so much a nice thing as it is a common thing. We're still good.
- The Champaign Room takes on the task of running down the basketball team's Power Rankings after the Nebraska game.
- Indiana took care of business against Penn State and Inside the Hall has some initial thoughts on the game.
- And while we're at the recapping Hoosier wins thing, here is The Crimson Quarry's summary. Also, there are no football links to be found for Indiana again. I'm sure Kevin Wilson is recruiting the next Sam Bradford somewhere right now.
- Micah Hyde is getting ready for the draft, which he should because someone will draft him. He has potential to play on Sundays I think. Heck, he plays like someone the Patriots would use in their secondary... Of course, I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
- Iowa Basketball played the Buckeyes really tough at the end, but the comeback wasn't meant to be. Moral victory or plain defeat? The fact that this is even a question is a testament to where Fran has taken this Iowa team.
- HEC over at BHGP provides his Fran-Graphs from the game with a little more insight and observations (for the record, I love this piece).
- When the headline is about Denard Robinson and the draft, you can only assume bad things. Those assumptions are correct.
- In case you hadn't heard, Trey Burke is really good and is in the hunt for player of the year.
- Interesting piece from Zach Travis at MnB about why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
- Well Sparty, if you want conspiracies, how about the one where you recruit Drake Martinez, T-Mart's little brother, and then find out he's there to sabotage your entire team. Not strong enough? Yeah, probably not, but I figured I'd at least throw that out there.
- Don't look now, but Sparty is on a roll on the hardcourt. With the win over Wisconsin, they are 6-1 in league play and have a crucial matchup in Indiana next.
- Speaking of the Indiana matchup, sounds like the Hoosiers will be seeing some Bronzed Spartan atire. So that's cool I guess. Baylor is so kind to lend them their color scheme.
- Losing to some top ten teams in league play is nothing to worry about Minnesota. Losing to Northwestern? Well, there are definitely some questions looming about how legit your team is at this point.
- And just like that, I click on The Daily Gopher and their lead headline is asking questions about this basketball team. I guess that makes sense.
- Based on my searches for football links, I can assume that I could write an entire column based solely on Illinois recruits being reported to meet with other teams. This one is a 2015 recruit, and I cannot even tell if Illinois has recruited him, but he's under the headline Illinois Football Recruiting, but then Minnesota meets with him. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if we're looking to 2015 right now, there is a chance that we've conceded 2013.
- In random news, apparently Nebraska has the longest streak of having at least one former player playing in the Super Bowl. I am 100% sure this is due to kickers.
- I am guessing most Husker fans that frequent OTE already have heard of Hail Varsity, but just in case, you all really should be following their stuff. Brandon Vogel does the website features and does a great job. His latest is a short history on recruiting at Nebraska.
- And because Nebrasketball left a bit to be desired, let's do one more Huskers football story with Corn Nation's interview with incoming QB Johnny Stanton (Also, for Husker recruiting, CN is doing remarkable stuff).
- So this really happened. Northwestern knocked off Minnesota last night in basketball. Congrats to the Wildcat faithful. I smell a NIT bid!
- Sippin on Purple gets in on the fun as well because this is a pretty big deal. Did anyone see this coming?
- Hold on a second. The Gov. of Illinois declared January 18th, Northwestern Wildcat Football Day? Really? This actually happened? Can someone confirm this for me...
- So Ohio State has two players leaving the program. Not necessarily even bad things, but it does suddenly open up some scholarships which Urban will most definitely fill.
- LGHL has some more on Ohio State recruiting here. Looks like this class keeps on keeping on.
- Hey, waddya know... Ticket prices are going up at the Shoe.
- Penn State fans cannot feel good about this basketball season. Not that there is anything bad about losing to Indiana, but winless in conference play is possible...
- Michael Mauti seems to be doing things right and sent handwritten notes to every NFL GM about how much he loves football.
- The BSD staff discusses who is the most irreplaceable player on defense for the Lions.
- Purdue is really getting good at the right time. Forget the non-con, this team looks good heading into Michigan tonight.
- H&R are working hard to keep up with the scrambling around by Purdue to put together a late class.
- Senior Bowl 2013: Short Looks Good! (Video)
- Wisconsin shot 29% against the Spartans. That's definitely not going to win too many games. This happened at home!
- B5Q writes an open letter to Biels about the use of Twitter.
- Thoughts on former Wisconsin OL Ricky Wagner at the Senior Bowl.
I don't have any really cool science links today, but I'm sure they are out there. Instead, here's a video from the band Kodaline which is a mix between Coldplay, Mumford, and all those UK bands that don't sound alike but really do sound alike. I really think this band could be a hit.