The Big 10 at 10 is Off Tackle Empire's daily dose of B1G news delivered to you at approximately 10:00AM CT. But it's not just a linkdump. Each author will also provide a brief editorial on a "hot topic" for the day. Want to see more news from a blog or website that isn't listed? Hit the comments.
Reactions poured out following the release of the Freeh Report yesterday and will likely continue throughout the weekend. In response to the Report radio hosts spewed vitorol, "people of importance" made questionable statements and Skip Bayless discussed Tim Tebow on First Take for 25 minutes. Same ol' same ol'. As this is the dominating topic in the news and I don't want to comment on the Report because I haven't read it, I'll simply play the role of
plagiarist reporter and give you a couple quotes.
LaVar Arrington, former linebacker for Penn State from 1997-1999 initially Tweeted:
ok i have to run but im interested in what the responses will be i must admit the report seems largely unbiased and fair just an observation— LaVar Leap Arrington (@LaVarArrington) July 12, 2012
Phil Knight, Nike CEO and friend of Paterno released a statement:
According to the investigation, it appears Joe made missteps that led to heartbreaking consequences. I missed that Joe missed it, and I am extremely saddened on this day. My love for Joe and his family remains.
It was later announced that Nike plans to remove Paterno's name from their child development center despite saying earlier that they were NOT going to remove his name.
Finally, Bobby Bowden believes that Penn State should remove the Paterno Statue:
Every time they show that statue on TV, people won't remember the good years. They're only going to remember the things with (Jerry) Sandusky. I still love Joe, and I still love his family, but Joe made a mistake, like all of us do. But this was a big one. I'm so sorry it happened.
More after the jump.
Other Penn State/Freeh Report Links:
- The Paterno family released a statement in response to the report
- BOB plans on reading the Report and making changes to the football program
- Jason Kirk has 6 takeaways from the Freeh Report
- Stewart Mandel writes that this is a lesson for naive fans and power programs
- Experts believe that Penn State will avoid the death penalty but then again...NCAA president Mark Emmert has questions which call into question "institutional control" at PSU
- One issue that isn't being discussed enough is what the Department of Education can do to Penn State. Fortunately, Dr. Saturday breaks it down for us. HINT: It involves the Clery Act.
- Dan Wetzel has a lot to say about the Freeh Report.
- According to the Chicago Tribune but per the Philadelphia Inquirer, televisions were changed at Penn State's student center immediately prior to the release of the Freeh report. I'm not sure this is news
- I FOUND AN ILLINI BLOG and he's talking about who has it better in the in the Big Ten football divisions
- ESPN's early week 1 preview for Iowa
- Iowa picks up a 3-star TE recruit in Jon Wisnieski of Dowling Catholic in Des Moines
- Kirk Ferentz uses an iPad?!
- Former Wolverine Larry Foote claims he's been screwed out of more than $400,000 by a valet service. I wish I could make a joke here but uh...it might've happened
- Maize n Brew profiles Michigan wide-receiver Jeremy Gallon
- MLive asks whether the Wolverines can win more than half of their road games. Answer: probably not
- Kirk Cousins finds his inspiration in visiting children at the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital
- Tom Dienhart has a question and answer session with Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck
- Tom Osborne's thoughts on the latest Penn State news
- You wont believe this but a Nebraska website is talking about the 1990's
- Eleven Warriors examines the correlation between having a 1,000 yard rusher and winning football games and also forecasts the 2013 defensive line
- The Ohio State University...Cornerback U?
- BSD's latest Penn State Recruiting Roundup
- Hammer and Rails encourages you to go vote for Drew Brees as it's down to him and Tommie Frazier for SB Nation CFB HoF QB (hooray abbreviations). Spoiler: it's not down to Brees and Tommie Frazier anymore. Ty just came out of nowhere
- Bill C's Wisconsin preview
- Tom Dienhart is nearing the end of his countdown for the Big Ten's best games. In Part IV he cracks the top 25 and lists Wisconsin at Penn State, Ohio State at Penn State, Penn State at Virginia, Indiana at Purdue and Wisconsin at Oregon State as games 21-25.
- ESPN's B1G blog gives us a list of the (possible) next great coaches in the conference. I should point out that damn near every new coach in the B1G is listed
- It's tough for mascots to be in the Call me Maybe video when they're not contacted
- Corn Nation has a poll on which Call me Maybe parody is better (or worse): cookie monster or B1G mascots?
- What if Big Ten coaches were alcoholic drinks? My personal favorite:
Finally, looks like somebody didn't find our Notre Dame antics very funny.