This video is going viral for obvious reasons today, but I figured it would be a nice lead-in on a snowy Friday morning. Seriously, though, this ranks up there as one of the better halfcourt shots I've ever seen. It also prompted me to spend fifteen minutes or so watching random fans and college kids shoot halfcourt shots for prizes, pride, and show. YouTube is the best!
In B1G News, Penn State is sadly still very much defeated. Sitting at 0-14 in league play, going winless is looking like more of a stark reality than a fleeting chance. The obvious games left that look potentially winnable would be Minnesota and Northwestern, but those are both on the road. Penn State has won exactly zero games on the road. Of course, they didn't exactly play any non-con games on the road, so there's that.
Still, you gotta hand it to them. They fought against a pretty hot Illinois squad last night, and with 5 seconds left, it was a 3 point game. Gotta close those games out. I am now fully expecting Penn State to win a game in the BTT because in a year where everything is crazy, why wouldn't that happen?
Finally, going into the weekend, there are some good games to keep an eye on. First and foremost, the makeup game of Nebrasketball-Iowa: Part I (AKA The Most Important Game You Can't Really Watch) will finally be played. That's on Saturday at the Bob. There has been a little bit of manufactured and sponsored by Hy-Vee hate in the Nebraska-Iowa, but Iowa fans will be none-too-pleased if Nebrasketball figures out to score a win and more or less knock out Iowa from NCAA Tournament consideration (Let's just say Nebrasketball wouldn't exactly be considered a 'good loss' even though the RPI isn't awful).
On Sunday, Illinois goes to Michigan and will try to keep their winning streak up while Michigan will do what they can to stop the bleeding. Michigan State goes to Ohio State to rebound after the close loss to Indiana. Finally, Northwestern goes to Purdue where, well, not a ton of storylines there because both teams are essentially dead in the water. Still a fun weekend of basketball and waiting for snow and the Oscars and all those things that we do because we don't have to work. Stretch run here people. Stretch. Run. On to the links!
- The Champaign Room implores anyone who was a part of the Illinois-Penn State game to burn the evidence. This was an ugly game, as one might expect between Penn State and anybody at this point.
- The IndyStar has a lot of tidbits on the Hoosiers, but I enjoyed the part where they talked about the next jinxes that Indiana has to beat. Yeah Nebraska! Owning Indiana in Lincoln since 1942!!! EAT IT.
- More from our friends at BHGP on the technical difficulties behind Nebraska-Iowa this weekend. While there is definitely a lot of angst for Nebraska pulling out cabling, you got to understand that they thought they would generally have contingency plans -- mostly that the local NETV (Public Television) crew could bring in their cameras. They are setup at the State Swimming Meet, however, so no dice and BTN is not able to help because OMG SNOW!!! Honestly, the low definition on BTN2GO might be better anyways.
- Interesting article on Trey Burke being a PG and not really having as good a chance at NPOY as F players. Historically, there have only been 7 PG's to win that award. Apparently we think scoring is the de facto trait of a POY.
- I like this article on giving kids some food as they waited for tickets for MSU-Indiana. I mean, I know it's a small gesture, but the college experience is somewhat universal and the Pay-it-Forward thing goes a long ways.
- Here is TDG's thoughts on not firing Tubby. It's a pretty well-rounded thought on the need for changes, but not necessarily in getting rid of the Tubs.
- A look at what Special Teams will look like at Nebraska next year via Corn Nation.
- Seriously, it's defend or offend your coach time on the interwebs. Here is LTP's take on the Carmody discussion.
- 11W has a fun piece on a Buckeye Basketball legend - Jerry Lucas.
- Remember that conversation about burning the tapes from the Penn State-Illinois game? Let's just burn the tapes from Penn State's season. Regardless, BSD talks about ALL THE FOULS!
- H&R understands that this Purdue season is pretty much a lost cause, and takes it upon themselves to look towards next year and what improvements this basketball team needs to make.
- B5Q has its take on the Wisconsin State High School Basketball tournament in regards to recruits.