Be honest, how many non-Michigan fans can't wait to move on to football? Okay, now that's not an entirely fair question considering their is actually quite a bit of intrigue in this year's Final Four, but I would be remiss to say that the slight slog of Basketball season is starting to sink in a bit and with the crowning of a NIT champion last night (sorry Iowa) and three games of the Big Dance left, the end of basketball is definitely upon us.
Nonetheless, I consider this season quite a success, not only from a Big Ten perspective, but also from a strictly selfish perspective. This was the first year that OTE went all-in, found some basketball writers, and tried to balance following the B1G in two sports and get some content out on a regular-ish basis. We weren't perfect, and I am sure next season will have some tweaks, but at least for me, I have enjoyed sharing the misery of being a Nebrasketball fan with all of you and hope to go all Conference Homer on everyone cheering for the Wolverines.
So let's break this down into a few sets of links. First, let's look at what happened to Iowa last night.
- The Hawkeyes looked to square off with Baylor for the chance to cheer, "WE'RE NUMBER 69! WE'RE NUMBER 69!" which is actually a lot more fun than it sounds. Again, as a Nebraska fan with overly fond memories of cheering We're number 65, I can relate. In fact, in more instances than not, a run to the NIT championship is a sign that you are going places. And while this season is generally considered a success for the Iowa Hawkeyes, especially the part where they have 25 wins, getting whacked by Baylor does leave a little bit of a bad taste in the mouth. I did not watch the whole thing, but go ahead and click here for BHGP's recap, here for the Gazette recap, and just for fun here for the Baylor recap.
Next, let's focus our attention solely on the Final Four.
- If you are going to Atlanta, check out the Georgia Tech SBN Outpost, From the Rumble Seat, for information on what to do in Atlanta. I've never even been through the Atlanta airport, so I cannot verify any of their information, but I'm sure the locals will help you on your way.
- MnB has been obviously busy previewing the big game. Here is a preview of the Syracuse matchup, a piece on the long road back, and a blogger Q&A with Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician (wonderful site by the way)
- On that note, let's run over and see what the other side is thinking. Here is the TNIAAM side of the Q&A with MnB, some info for if you have decided to turn on Michigan and are in Atlanta, and a preview if you want to know how to properly root Orange.
- Oh, and also here is Penn State's guide to beating Michigan, which is fantastic in its own way.
- The Illini have a team poster. Nice things and all, everybody.
- In Indiana, basketball is always on the brain and the Crimson Quarry dives into what next year looks like for the Hoosiers.
- If you haven't read through the entire BHGP/SOP All-Name Bracket, you probably should.
- Michigan recruiting updates... for football, because YAY FOOTBALL! Thanks MnB.
- Minnesota has a new basketball coach that looks like he is 22. Of course he is the ripe old age of 30, so no worries. Oh, and he's a Pitino! Seriously, though, I see low downside and high upside. His peers seem to think highly of him, and he has a solid style. Now let's see if he can hang tough in the toughest conference out there. TDG has been on this search, so it's nice to see them get a coach.
- I just... I don't... I mean... there just aren't words for this.
- Husker Mike at Corn Nation has been playing this fun game with Husker fans where he writes an article that is basically dynamite, throws it into the room, and watches. I don't think that's on purpose, but discussing the viability as Martinez as a NFL QB has that affect on people. Oh, Nebraska plays their Spring Game tomorrow. So that's fun.
- Northwestern basketball is looking to get its new staff under Collins put together. Sounds like he's going to try and retain Tavaras Hardy and let the other two go. I don't know any of these people, but I am sure this all makes sense.
- So basically, Ohio State is hosting every major recruit ever this weekend. Got it.
- Penn State has some roster defections in basketball, but according to BSD, a lot of it sounds like this was coming.
- Everything feels new at Purdue this Spring, and H&R has a nice Story Stream filled with everything they can put together. If you want to know what's happening in West Lafayette, this is a good place to start.
- So uh, Wisconsin is going to run a 3-4. B5Q has the rundown of what is going on in Madison and why it might be awesome.