I took my formula from football, made a few tweaks and ported it over to work for basketball. I've been fiddling around with a Pythagorean type formula that combines the data in different way that I also like. So I averaged that new formula with the old formula to get a combined formula.
A reminder that there is no preseason bias here. What's here is simply a reflection of what teams have done so far this season. It's still relatively early in the season so there's still a lot of movement day-to-day, and some there are still some things that don't look right. However, overall, it really is starting to take some shape.
Let's get to the rankings:
- Purdue and MSU have been far and away the most impressive teams.
- WOO! GO IOWA AWESOME! Still, though, there's a big drop after Purdue right now. We're already at bubble status.
- Woah, there Northwestern, what are you doing up here?
- Maryland has had a really underwhelming start so far. Getting the chemistry right so far with so many new comers? Is Turgeon just a less awkward Tom Crean? I happen to think it's a bit of both. Will see if they if they can start to put it together soon.
- There was a lot of preseason talk about MI being a darkhorse this season after suffering so many injuries last year and bringing in some good talent. They've been ok, but still a lot of work to do to impress.
- Speaking of needing to impress, hello there, Indiana. Certainly a Tom Crean coached team isn't under performing of their talent level. But yeah, they certainly earned that preseason ranking. Is anyone ever going to learn?
- Fuck Bo
- There are a lot of bad B1G teams this year, it seems. Little Ricky going to get another year? Same with Chambers? I assume the accountant at UNL will get another year.
- What the hell is up with OSU? Matta isn't that far removed from Final 4s. They've been awful so far.
- IL...nice things...you know the drill. Can't wait for Groce to get an extension in the next week, or so.
- Rutgers is horribly awful at basketball.
"I'm not going to coach rebounding drills. It's not in my package as a coach." - coach Eddie Jordan. Rutgers out-rebounded 53-32.— Matt Sugam (@MattSugam) December 5, 2015
Got any thoughts?
- Dammit, ISU. Iowa plays them on Thursday in Ames. Should be a really fun game.
- UNC WIlmington has only played three game so far, don't worry, they'll go away.
- Kentucky was near the top until that loss to the fuckface and UCLA. That was a pretty bad loss.