B1G Things of Note:
- Despite a #20 ranking in the AP Poll, Penn State has climbed all the way to #12 in the first CFP poll. That’s an impressive jump for the Nittany Lions, who only need to survive Iowa and Indiana before coasting to a possible 10-2 finish.
- A loss at wisconsin didn’t hurt Nebraska too badly, as the Huskers take a #10 ranking to Columbus. A close loss could keep them in the Top 15, meaning the Big Ten could find itself with a glut of teams challenging for the NY6 at-large bids.
- Speaking of, the badgers have a nice trot into Indy if they hold serve, just waiting for others above them to slip up.
- Ohio State finds itself on the outside looking in at #6, but this isn’t the first time the Buckeyes have had that problem. It’s the same old, same old: Beat Michigan and get in.
- And finally, Michigan slots in at #3 behind Clemson and ‘Bama. That’s not terribly surprising or relevant, I suppose, given that the Wolverines would play the Tigers either way under this ranking.
Other Things of Note:
- Lose to Wyoming, somehow stay in the Top 25. Ah, the Boise State mystique.
- Sucks for Washington that they’re hurt by a quietly mediocre Pac-12. The Huskies, somehow, are staring up at Texas A&M and sit left out of the playoff if the season ended today. That’s...surprising.
- Let’s all take a moment, though, to laugh at the Big XII. Oklahoma at #14 is their best rep. #OneTrueChampion indeed.
- Western Michigan at #23 is criminally underrated. I can see the Broncos getting screwed if they win out unconvincingly and Boise State rebounds to win the Mountain West.
What’s most surprising to you?