One of my favorite times of year here at OTE is B1G 201x, and B1G 2017 is no disappointment. In fact, most of the time I find myself thinking, “huh, I wonder if it would be possible for me to keep this party going over the weekend.”
In a stroke of genius, Graham and I decided to give you - the OTE fans - just that opportunity. Sure, the Rutgers Scarlet Knights might be going away, but I have a playlist of New Jersey bred songs to recap the week and get you excited for the future weeks.
- Double-O - Count Basie: Look, Count Basie is such a genius in my mind that I have him on here twice, which is pretty impressive. I dedicate this song to my friends at Root-jars
- Looking at the World Through Rose Colored Glasses - Count Basie, Frank Sinatra: If there is something I appreciate about Rutgers fans, it’s the ability to ignore the constant shouting downs from reality, and this song sums up that feeling, right? Also, if you don’t own this album, you really should do something about that.
- Dancing In the Dark - Bruce Springsteen: So far, so good on the music choices, no?
- Livin’ on a Prayer - Bon Jovi: I hate that I felt compelled to include Bon Jovi, but here’s where we are right now. This seems pretty self-explanatory.
- Gone ‘til November - Wyclef Jean: Damn, I’m really liking this playlist. Anyhow, this is probably more like, “I’ll be gone in November” but the point still stands. Bonus points for believing that there is a shortcut to financial viability.
- I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston: All hilarious takes aside, this track is absolute fire. Carry on Whitney. Carry. On.
- Ghetto Superstar - Pras: So uh, I just like this track and realized Pras was from Jersey. I’m sure we can get this to fit, but let’s just move on to the next track.
- Through Being Cool - Saves the Day: I owned this album. Like, I actually bought it. Listening to this song pretend to speak to something is probably how Jim Delany feels when he looks at Rutgers sports. (Again, jokes aside, this is an awful album)
- Jealous - Nick Jonas: SORRY RUTGERS YOU HAVE TO CLAIM THE JONAS BROTHERS AND THIS ABSURD PREMISE OF A SONG! I’M GOING TO MAKE THE TIE THAT YOU GET JEALOUS OF EVERYONE LOOKING AT THE BIG TEN BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID OF LOSING US OR SOMETHING!
- Oh Boy - Cam’ron: So I bet you’re wondering, “Why is Cam’ron on a Jersey mix?” Excellent question. It’s because this is one of the best Just Blaze produced tracks and the penultimate feeling of Rutgers week probably is “oh boy”.
- Agony of DeFeet - Parliament: (1) Parliament-Funkadelic is just absurdly good and there are so few tracks on this list that suck. I’m actually going to listen to this list a few times. (2) The lyrics to this track are so off the wall. (3) This is an absurdly great track.