In case you missed it, we’re making playlists for the weekend inspired by none other than your school! Last week’s school were none other than the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, and it was a fine representation of that school from New Jersey. This week brings on Purdue with some fine songs from train lore, production in Indiana, and even Indiana natives. It’s an interesting mix.
1) Neil Armstrong - “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”: Is this too on the nose? Probably too on the nose... Let’s just move forward.
2) Thelonius Monk - Locomotive: Dang, still really on the nose, but what great playlist doesn’t start with the smooth sounds of Thelonius Monk.
3) Freddie Hubbard - Crisis: Indiana native, amazing bebop Trumpeter and I mean, Purdue football has been in a crisis for a while.
4) Freddie Gibbs (feat Danny Brown) - High: Another Indiana native, I figured that a nice smooth track produced by Madlib and basically extolling the virtues of ahem some behaviors that make us happy or something. Let’s keep moving.
5) Johnny Cash - Wreck of the Old 97: What kind of Purdue playlist would this be without a train wreck song?
6) Roy Acuff - Wabash Cannonball: Moar train songs!!! So this is from our good friend babaoreally who mentioned that the Wabash river cuts West Lafayette from Lafayette which seems to be apt when discussing the Wabash train line, right? Sure. Man, sorry Purdue friends, this is really on the nose.
7) Jackson 5 - It’s great to be here: One of my favorite things in the world is just the existence of Purdue being in the Big Ten. Not because they shouldn’t be here, but it really does seem like they’re super okay with existence first and foremost. Take the money and run type of thing. Also, the Jackson 5 are also Indiana natives, so that’s fun.
8) Alkaline Trio - Hating every minute: So fun fact, apparently this album was produced in Lafayette, which is something I didn’t expect. Interesting, right? Kinda. Oh, and come on, this song seems to embody how Boilermaker fans felt about the past few seasons...
9) Guns N’Roses - Mr. Brownstone: Also from our good friend babaoreally, “Mr. Brownstone is about buying drugs from a guy at the Brownstone apartments right next to campus.” So you know... good times, Purdue.
10) Squirtgun - Another Sunny Afternoon: Oh look, more Lafayette natives! But seriously, this era of music is getting put in every Big Ten playlist because I said so.
11) Blind Melon - Change: You thought I’d forget to add a Blind Melon track, huh? Well I didn’t. Actually, this is a good outro to the week. Things will be better under Coach Jeff Brohm, quarterback whisperer.