It’s been a while since I wanted to write anything about Purdue football.
I’m assuming everyone here has heard of the fight-or-flight response. We’ll I’m 100% a flight guy. In the context of “writing” “articles” on this “website”, a fighter would rant and rave and complain and whine and be very mad and say mean things. A flighter like myself just stops writing anything except the required season previews and post-mortems.
Anyway, now that the despair of losing every game by fifty points is gone, I feel like writing an article about Purdue football. Mostly I am writing this because Purdue played a game on Friday night (their first with permanent lighting), and I thought of this title, which I consider the best title of an article I have ever written.
My brother won tickets from the local radio station, so I traveled east across the state to Ross-Ade Stadium and watched the game. Here are the highlights:
- There was a crowd at a football game! 45 grand ain’t quite a full house, but the student section was full and the crowd was into it.
- Beer is now sold throughout the stadium. There were very long lines for the officially licensed Purdue beer. The can looks cool, and the beer is fine.
- Purdue jumped out to a 10-0 lead, but Ohio came back and made it 10-7. Then Purdue went three and out on a sad possession. I was a little nervous at this point.
- David Blough came in at QB and Dario Fuller started gaining yards in big chunks. That opened up the passing game, as Blough had wide-open receivers all game.
- In a span of about 7 minutes in the second quarter, the lead went from 10-7 to 34-7 and it was over at that point.
- REVERSE FLEA FLICKER
- Defense played well in the first half, and alright in the second.
- Obviously Ohio is not Alabama, but it has been a long time since Purdue looked dominant against anybody. So I am happy.
- I have no actual stance on whether or not Friday night games in general are a good idea for college football, but I really enjoyed this one.
Let’s end with some paraphrasing of Sir Elton:
It's getting late have you seen Jeff Brohm
Ma tell me when the team gets here
It's eight o'clock and I want to rock
Want to get a belly full of officially licensed Purdue beer
Neil Armstrong's drunker than a barrel full of monkeys
And Orville Redenbacher he don't care
Purdue Pete looks cute in his jersey and boots
A bunch of fiberglass for a head
Don't give us none of your Darrell Hazell
We had it with your John Schoop
Friday night's alright for lighting
Get a little action in
Get about as oiled as a diesel train
Gonna set this field alight
`Cause Friday night's the night I like
Friday night's alright alright alright