Anyway, the usual weekly navel-gazing of College Football Playoff rankings has begun anew, and we’re happy to be your home for that.
The Top 25:
 Washington Huskies
B1G Talking Points:
- It’s exactly what we thought for Ohio State: Beat Northwestern by enough in the Big Ten Championship, and hope Oklahoma fails to impress or outright loses to Texas.
- Of course, that’s moot if Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship. I expect we’ll see the Bulldogs playing Notre Dame in some combination of a 2-3 game, with Clemson-Bama making up the other semifinal. That is dumb, I do not care, and it could absolve me completely from watching the CFP. Go Dwags.
- Enjoy the Rose Bowl, Michigan. Unless you’d rather see Northwestern there, which we’re totally fine with, in which case would you rather beat Florida or UCF?
- Really, the only team this is exciting for is Penn State: The Lions can absolutely make the New Year’s Six bowls, but they need some help. Why? Because Texas, even with a loss to Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship game, would be locked into the Sugar Bowl (or West Virginia jumps the Longhorns if Texas loses by enough, I guess). But a team outside the Top 12 jumping into an NY6 bumps the 12th team in the rankings—Penn State.
- Got all that? Good. The Nittany Lions, if they’d prefer an NY6 bowl, have a narrow road: That Ohio State makes the CFP, but that Oklahoma beats Texas by a narrow margin (because a Texas win would leave both Big XII teams in the Top 12, bumping Penn State).
These rankings are, of course, not the be-all, end-all of college football—as we noted in our Bowl Projections today, there’s a lot of fun left to be had across the college football landscape, and most of it wasn’t preordained by polls that also had wisconsin as the 4th-best team in the nation!
Check those out, enjoy the silliness of Northwestern being a Top 25 team, and buckle up for a weird Big Ten Championship Week.