I am not going to pretend to understand the legal mumbo-jumbo stuff like the difference between legal and illegal. However someone told me that the United States Supreme Court did something about something, and that got me thinking about my favorite type of bet. Prop bets, or proposition bets, for you legal eagles.
For those of you that don’t gamble because you believe laws and stuff, let me first explain what a prop bet is. Everyone knows that lovely Christmas movie, Christmas Story. When they dare Ralphie to stick is tongue on the frozen pole, that’s a dare. The kid did, it stuck, and he required medical attention and probably years of therapy. Fun times. To turn it into a prop bet, “Hey Ralphie, I’ll bet you 100 bucks you can’t stick your tongue to the pole without it getting stuck.” Fun times, but with money involved.
So right now, I am going to butter you little bastards and bastdardettes up and say the only reason I still “write” for OTE is the comments section. You really are the best. Or the worst, which is what actually makes you the best. This “article” gives you two avenues to live up to the hype. One, I am going to give my prop bet of the year for each team, so that you can give your opinion and odds. Two, you can also give your own prop bets.
These are in no particular order, I just number them to make sure I included each and every team.
- Ohio State Buckeyes: Will Jim Tressel ever dot the i?
- Michigan Wolverines: Will Jim Harbaugh coach till 2021?
- Penn State Nittany Lions: Will Jim Franklin demand to be called “Jim” like the other, more successful, James’ in the Big Ten? (That’s solid gold right there)
- Minnesota Golden Gophers: Will PJ Fleck equal Glenn Mason’s 7 bowl games. This one is interesting, because if Fleck is racking up bowl games, he is racking up job opportunities.
- Iowa Hawkeyes: In 2019, will Kirk Ferentz get a contract extension and pay raise, or will he get a pay raise and contract extension?
- Wisconsin Badgers: What kind of odds can I get that they are going to try “basketball on turf” at any point int he next 10 years?
- Purdue Boilermakers: How long does Jeff Brohm stay in West Lafayette?
- Michigan State Spartans: Mark Dantonio, good coach, or great coach? That’s not really a prop bet, but a question.
- Maryland Terrapins: Worst uniforms in college football history, or will someone else come up with even more hideous monstrosities at some point??
- Rutgers Whateverthefucktheyare: Will they ever be accepted as a “real” Big Ten team?
- Indiana Hoosiers: Will the “basketball” school win a national championship before the football team wins a Big Ten divisional championship? (This is a really interesting bet, imho)
- Illinois Fighting Illini: What year will they be forced to give up the “fighting” part of their moniker, either because it is politically incorrect or they suck, and haven’t really fought for years?
- Northwestern Wildcats: Can they win the Big Ten under Pat? I mean really? This Buckeye thinks they kinda can and would throw out some duckets if the odds were there...
- Nebraska Huskers: I saved the Huskers for the last because it’s their week, and really, we should all come up with a bunch of prop bets for them. Does Scott Frost get fired is he loses 3 or more games each season in his first five years?
Will any "reader" notice there wasn’t actually a single prop bet proposed?
This poll is closed