It’s the return of making things up solely to argue about why Minnesota totally will or will not leapfrog Iowa in the bowl pecking order. DADDY NEEDS A TRIP TO JACKSONVILLE, Y’ALL.
College Football Playoff
Fiesta Bowl: Glendale, AZ
December 28 | 3pm | ESPN
Peach Bowl: Atlanta, GA
December 28 | 7pm | ESPN
New Year’s Six
Cotton Bowl: Arlington, TX
December 28 | 11am | ESPN
Orange Bowl: Miami Gardens, FL
December 30 | 7pm | ESPN
Rose Bowl: Pasadena, CA
January 1 | 4pm | FOX
Sugar Bowl: New Orleans, LA
January 1 | 7:45pm | ESPN
Big Ten Bowl Games
Quick Lane Bowl: Detroit, MI
December 26 | 7pm | ESPN
Pinstripe Bowl: New York, NY
December 27 | 2:20pm | ESPN
Redbox Bowl: Santa Clara, CA
December 30 | 3pm | FOX
Citrus Bowl: Orlando, FL
January 1 | 12pm | ABC
Outback Bowl: Tampa, FL
January 1 | 12pm | ABC
Gator Bowl: Jacksonville, FL
January 2 | 6pm | ESPN
Armed Forces Bowl: Fort Worth, TX
January 4 | 10:30am | ESPN
Full Bowl Projections
- Ohio State wins the Big Ten. We can accept that, right?
- Is wisconsin fraudulent? Sure. Probably. But if they survive the crossover with just a pair of losses to Ohio State, maybe they can do enough to stay above the Nittany Lions in the rankings.
- OK, the calculus on this is tough-ish, but follow me: I don’t think Penn State can do enough to leapfrog Notre Dame in the CFP rankings—the Irish make it through vs. USC and at Michigan, and the latter gives them enough to get over the hump in the New Year’s Six.
- Neither Iowa nor Michigan are going back to the Outback...right? RIGHT? You could flip-flip them if you wanted for Holiday and Gator, but the Gator won’t choose Iowa again, so that’s how the cookie crumbles.
Minnesota gets a well-deserved bowl to...
ring in the New Year.
- I will stop, but I will not apologize.
- Feels like more Nebraska fans would go west than east, and vice versa for Michigan State fans. Is Cal a good opponent? Can Cal get to bowl eligibility? I’m not actually concerned with the answer.
- At some point, the Big Ten actually has to send a team to the Armed Forces Bowl. So why not Indiana, bowling for the first time in God knows how long? That sure beats Detroit for the Hoosiers, and Syracuse Orange-Temple Owls feels like a very Ford Field-worthy game.
- I went off-script for a number of these, because if there’s something the 2018 bowl season taught me, it’s that bowls and TV providers are looking for some odd hot-watch games in the early slate. Hence Boise State-Boston College, though the First Responders Bowl met a cruel fate. That’s why Army in the Gasparilla Bowl, that’s why SMU makes the drive to Houston for a high-octane shootout with Oklahoma State.
- Speaking of! The Appalachian State Mountaineers just keep doing the damn thing. They’re 4-0 (1-0), making noise in the Sun Belt, and should get a serious look for one of the many bowls the abysmal non-Top 25 SEC cannot fill.
- Seriously—look at the SEC. The Missouri Tigers are bowl-ineligible this year, meaning it’s pretty bleak after #25 Texas A&M Aggies. I felt like I was reaching throwing CLANGA in there, and after that Kentucky and Ole Miss have to be inch-perfect themselves. EvErYbOdY bEaTs EvErYbOdY, though.
- In that vein, while the Pac-12 eliminated itself by, like, Week 3 from the College Football Playoff, I will remain skeptical on Oklahoma Sooners until further notice (probably next week, because I’m not legally obligated to be consistent about this, and you can’t make me). Everything is terrible, and the SEC will get two teams in.
- No one else in the world cares, but the San Jose State Spartans travel to Reno in what might be an early play-in game with the Nevada Wolf Pack. SJSU should peel off at least one more win at UNLV, but over a brutal final six games they’re home only twice (vs. San Diego State and Boise State) and have to travel to both Army and Hawaii. Yeesh.
Games I will watch:
—Utah vs. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors in Vegas? THAT’S DWT;WT PORN.
—Army vs. UCF. The paucity of second-tier SEC teams could give us some really intriguing matchups in bad pre-Christmas slots.
—Take the over on Toledo-Utah State in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.
—Appalachian State vs. Virginia. BELK IT UP, ‘NEERS. JUMP INTO ALL THOSE TREES.
Feel free to use the comments to tell me why I’m an idiot.