Welcome back to another year with Stew’s ARS. For those of you who don’t know about this, welcome for the first time. What is one of the most frustrating parts of college football rankings? The inertia of the preseason poll, that’s what. The preseason polls carry a bunch of weight, where teams move up and down, but the starting place is like an anchor keeping teams closer to where they started than where actual results may dictate. That’s where my system comes in. It’s based on results only from this year. Typically it’s a combination of point differential, % of score totals, wins/losses, and strength of schedule. Since this is week one, there’s not enough data to include strength of schedule, except in cases of playing FCS teams. Since I pool all FCS teams into one group, and there were 41 games involving FCS teams, I’ve got enough data to ding those teams foolish enough to play an FCS team.
Rankings and Ratings:
- Fuck wisconsin. But yeah, blowing a team out 49-0 is a good way to start a season.
- Illinois and rutger in the top 15?!?! Hey, they blew out fellow FBS teams. And right now, that’s all we know.
- Iowa , OSU, MSU, and Michigan clustered here in the top 20 after solid, if unspectacular wins. But seeing as they’re all still in the top 20, there weren’t too many of those to go around.
- UNL and Indiana may have been sweating their wins a bit more than they’d have liked, but for week one, that’s still good enough to be in the top 30.
- Pretty big drop here to Maryland and PSU. Yeah, they won big, but playing an FCS team is a big damn hit.
- Wait, what’s this? The two teams that lost, Purdue and jNW are rated below a team that won, Minnesota Golden Gophers? Yes, because when you play an FCS team, you should blow them the fuck out. ‘Tis better to have barely lost to an FBS team (on the road, no less), than to have squeaked out a win against an FCS team at home.
- Da Coach O!! It would fantastic if LSU could keep this up. Having Orgeron in the national spotlight would be a blessing to us all.
- Oh, hey last point, there’s the Dread Pirate Leach.
- Bama and Clemson already in the top 10.
- Utah State is the highest rated team to have lost.
- UTEP squeaks just below Iowa State as the worst team to have won.
- Western Kentucky Hilltoppers gets the ignominy of being the only FBS team to have lost to an FCS team.
Do you like the clean slate system?
This poll is closed
USA number one! WOO!!