The first College Football Playoff rankings are out, and while the AP Top 25 took a more measured approach toward the sudden rise of your favorite Big Ten private school, the Gary Barta-led Committee...welll...they must really value those wins over Iowa and wisconsin:
College Football Playoff Rankings Top 25
[all rankings from ESPN, SBN, CBS Sports, and probably 30 other outlets]
25. Tulsa Golden Hurricane (5-1)
24. Iowa Hawkeyes (3-2)
23. Oklahoma State Cowboys (5-2)
22. Auburn Tigers (5-2)
21. Marshall Thundering Herd (7-0)
20. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (8-0)
19. North Carolina Tar Heels (6-2)
18. USC Trojans (3-0)
17. Texas Longhorns (5-2)
16. Wisconsin Badgers (2-1)
15. Oregon Ducks (3-0)
14. BYU Cougars (9-0)
13. Iowa St. Cyclones (6-2)
12. Indiana Hoosiers (4-1)
11. Oklahoma Sooners (6-2)
10. Miami-Florida Hurricanes (7-1)
9. Georgia Bulldogs (5-2)
8. Northwestern Wildcats (5-0)
7. Cincinnati Bearcats (8-0)
6. Florida Gators (6-1)
5. Texas A&M Aggies (5-1)
4. Ohio State Buckeyes (4-0)
3. Clemson Tigers (7-1)
2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (8-0)
1. Alabama Crimson Tide (7-0)
- Based on how they’ve rolled through three of the worst teams of the Big Ten, the Hawkeyes might be worthy of that #24 ranking. It’s becoming easier to excuse the loss to Purdue as early-season Kirkfuckery, and that Northwestern loss, well...we’re getting there.
- That’s what happens when you only play North Alabama and UTEP, Cougars. No one gives a shit. Zach Wilson might be decent, but Steve Young ain’t walking through the door. The Cougs should be putting in a call to any PAC-12 team who gets a game canceled at this point—they don’t play again until a 12/12 date with San Diego State, and they need a P5 win.
- Which of those teams between Indiana and Northwestern would you actually take over the Hoosiers? Looking at those...maybe Georgia? But that’s it.
- Honestly, what we saw from wisconsin last week makes me think the badgers are too high, but it’s their 16 ranking that’s contributing to Northwestern’s Top 8 (!!!) spot. So, uh...
- ...Northwestern fans irate about their undefeated Wildcats being left behind SEC one-loss teams Florida (lost to A&M) and A&M (lost to Alabama) shouldn’t hold their breath. At this point, it’s a 9-0 Northwestern in the CFP or it’s nothing. If that’s a surprise, you’re an idiot.
- Congrats, Ohio State. Fuck off.
Most egregious ranking here?
This poll is closed
Northwestern all the way up at 8
Northwestern all the way down at 8
Indiana behind crap-ass Oklahoma and/or Miami
wisconsin still Top 20
Iowa ranked at all
BYU down at 14?
Other (tell us in the comments!)