Sigh. Here comes Michigan State.
Big Ten Tournament Projected Bracket
Whole lotta moving and shaking going on: Sparty is out of the hell that is Wednesday and into the Purgatory of an 8-9 matchup for the right to get another shot at Michigan, which would—sigh—give them another resume-building win.
I hate this.
Purdue, with a win tonight over Penn State, could really cement its spot in the #5 seed as well which, given Iowa’s new injury problems like Jack Nunge, isn’t a bad spot to be.
Feels like the Wednesday Crew of Penn State, Minnesota, Northwestern (in some order), and Nebraska is pretty set.
NCAA Tournament Bracketology
- I said last week that Michigan have a case for being the #1 overall seed...and then Michigan State promptly beats Ohio State and tarnishes that argument. Anywho, I’m still of the mindset that maybe winning the toughest league in the country with only one loss is more impressive than beating fucking Pepperdine, but that’s just me.
- Rough week for Ohio State, but given (1) Illinois brothers-in-arms-style loss to Sparty and (2) just how far back all the 2-seeds are, I think the Buckeyes hold...for now.
- As for Iowa, I think most Hawkeyes fans are content just staying on a 2-3 line and avoiding Gonzaga or Baylor for as long as they can.
- This inexorable creep of Wisconsin toward a 5-seed is nauseating. Just make your dumbass run to the Big Ten Tournament finals, badgers, so I can incorrectly pick you to get upset by UConn in the first round.
- It is still baffling to me that Purdue are a six-seed. Honestly! I have nothing more to add, other than the tackle-basketball that will erupt if the Boilers draw Loyola will be...well, it’ll be something, all right.
- Not as bad as a Rutgers-Loyola matchup would be, though. Good God.
- I don’t know what to make of Maryland, so I enlisted FOTP larry31 to give me his thoughts on the Terps’ bracket chances:
larry31: MD is a tournament team, even with the expected collective mugging by MSU that they will succumb to. MD basketball may be a bit on the UVA-Tony Bennett side of ugly basketball, but they are well-coached and execute well. They don’t play dumb basketball, looking at you MN and IU. I expect them to beat NW and PSU, MD’s two remaining games after MSU. MD is currently 28 in KenPom, 31 in NET rankings and trending upward, having won 4 in a row (MN, UNL, UNL, and rutger). Finishing the season 6-1, with a 10-10 conference record should be enough.
And in their place!
- Tom Izzo and the Michigan State as the calendar turns to March, ladies and gentlemen.
If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be vomiting.
How many teams in the Dance?
This poll is closed
8. G’bye, IU and Minny; too little too late, Sparty.
9. Welcome back, Michigan State.
9. IU holds on, Sparty can’t hack it.
10. There’s room enough for IU and MSU.
11. I am holding onto hope for Minnesota.
11. BIG TEN TOURNAMENT CHAMPION NORTHWESTERN.