Here’s your quick Big Ten bracketology update heading into the weekend, as we get one more chance for some jockeying among the top four teams from the conference, we rue Michigan’s “championship”, and we watch as Michigan State hopes to hold onto an appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
Big Ten Bracketology
- Due deference to the Michigan Wolverines, I suppose, even after their shellacking in the midweek. Barring a loss to Sparty AND an early exit from the Big Ten Tournament, probably not much to watch for here.
- But keep an eye on Illinois, I suppose? It’s not like they’re going to be jumped by the non-B1G 2-seeds, Alabama or West Virginia, but would Ohio State OR...(god)...Iowa have a case with an Illinois loss?
- To be frank, an Illinois win over Ohio State and an Iowa win, and I think there at least has to be the minor shuffle of the Hawks into Region 2 (Baylor’s region).
- I have nothing interesting to say about Purdue.
- The badgers’ tumble from 5- or 6-seed to 7-seed opens up that interesting prospect of which underachieving high-majors or overachieving mid-majors they’d get. No better representations this year than UCLA and Drake.
- Somehow losing to Northwestern doesn’t bump Maryland beyond an 8-seed? Bullshit. You see how bad the ‘Cats are? Terps are no more than a bubble team in my book.
- Please give us a Rutgers game against BYU for the contrast, and not San Diego State for the 52-49 strugglefest.
- Awfully nice lifetime achievement award on offer for Michigan State to still get a First Four appearance.
- How many of those remaining teams do you think get to the NIT? I see no reason Indiana or Minnesota would have ANY interest, and while Penn State made a nice little climb, I can’t see that a 9-13 Big Ten team actually really wanting to swing down to Dallas for a couple games. Just take Michigan State and be done.
Does Michigan State make the NCAA Tournament? (That’s all the drama I have here.)
This poll is closed
Yes, main draw
Yes, First Four
Who get the 1-seeds from the Big Ten?
This poll is closed
Michigan and Illinois
Michigan and Iowa
Michigan and Ohio State
Give us your thoughts on the Big Ten’s chances in the NCAA Tournament and if there’s anything you’re watching for this weekend. We’ll have previews, wrestling stuff, maybe some Ohio State football chatter...I don’t know, it’s the weekend. Go nuts.