So how has that affected NCAA Tournament projections?
B1G Talking Points
- Through dint of doing...well, I’m not exactly sure what, Purdues has leapt back over UCLA onto the 1-seed line. Congratties, Boilers! Need to avoid serve being broken today and it’s a 1-seed in the Dance, probably?
- Indiana looks locked into a well-deserved 4-seed and probably the easiest matchup at that? I know little about the Ragin’ Cajuns, Hoop Edition, but Yale and the rest of the Ivy is no great shakes this year. Hoosiers would be close to a coinflip to making the Sweet Sixteen before a game’s even played.
- Let me say I like Jerry Palm a lot more than Joe Lunardi as far as the Northwestern Wildcats are concerned. (That was a heartbreaking loss to a team in Penn State that is, if you look at Kenpom’s metrics, basically Offense Northwestern—Top 20 on one side, outside the Top 100 on the other, glacial pace, bad non-con strength of schedule. Weirdly, all those metrics are also basically the Bill Carmody Era at Northwestern, right down to the lack of a true big man. Suddenly I like Penn State a lot.)
- Michigan State is in, which Jon Rothstein has no doubt reminded everyone means March Tom Izzo is upon us. I don’t know how much to make of Sparty this year. They’re dangerous, of course, but it feels like there’s understandably just too much going on to expect anything from MSU.
- When I first wrote this, I forgot to put anything down about Maryland. Feels apt.
- A big ol’ lol at Iowa, who are at this point exactly what we knew they were—a hot-headed, streaky offensive team of shrinking violets when any little thing goes the wrong way. That applies to the fanbase as well as it applies to the team.
- I don’t know if I will be taking Illinois as a 10-over-7 upset, or the first-round team to lose by the most.
- In a cruel twist of fate, we’ve received intelligence from the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee that in a break with precedent, Illinois will play Penn State in the first round. Our deepest condolences to Thumpasaurus.
- In more seriousness, a richly-earned congratulations to Micah Shrewsberry and Penn State, who have found their form at the right time and played their way into the Dance. I was impressed at how well the man I am now calling Shrewd-sberry managed the emotions and runs of the Northwestern game yesterday. A shootout between the Lions and Mizzou would be a great first-round matchup; Iowa State grab-balling the Lions on the perimeter would not.
- I don’t see it with Rutgers, but it ain’t my call. They won their play-in with Michigan and now should get another trip to Dayton.
- Big ups to Michigan and wisconsin for doing something only 16 teams in the whole country get to do: host a first-round NIT game. Well done!
- Looking forward to Ohio State earning a 14-seed. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
- Nebraska...we believed :( we all believed.
Let me know what I got wrong, and be sure to join today’s open thread of games and vote in our B1G Name of the Year tournament:
Thanks as always for reading OTE. Pray for Vox Media, who definitely didn’t do anything dumb related to Silicon Valley Bank...