At the Minnesota United game last night, I saw a big dude walking around with a "Culvers Isthmus Bowl" sweatshirt on. To whoever that young man is (I assume he played for UW-River Falls), I salute you.
Why are these bowl projections back when (1) it's way too early to do them, (2) I have no intention of following through every week, and (3) you don't care what I think?
Mostly because of that dude in the Isthmus Bowl sweatshirt. Good for you, brother.
As for the rest?
- Ohio State is revving up. I'll watch out.
- The second-best, if not the best team in the Big Ten is Penn State. So now I'm curious to see how high that means they can go. I'd say College Football Playoff right now.
- Your consolation prize, Michigan, will be someone real frisky. Let's say Alabama, just for the laughs.
- Iowa is probably the best in the West. And they'll probably beat Ole Miss. This is a nightmare.
- Of the second-bests in the West? Let's say wisconsin right behind Iowa, drawing something like Florida, with Minnesota not far off. I hope that means the Gophers finally get back to the Glen Mason Memorial Music City Bowl. Let's give them angry Tennessee as a reward.
- September Maryland's reward is a trip to...Vegas? I mean, this would really be where the Big Ten should want to send Iowa (mostly to get them pantsed by Oregon or something), but let's say the Turtles do it.
- This is The Year, Rutgers. This is the year you return to the Pinstripe Bowl.
- Nebraska gets past LaTech, and they're just a four-game run through the West to get to 6-6. That'd be a trip to Phoenix for RV Nation.
- Did I just need someone to slot into the Quick Lane Bowl? Maybe. But Illinois sure would be funny there.